- Year of Call
- Year of Silk
- Devil Masters
- The Rt Hon Lord Abernethy
Colin has a wide civil practice with considerable expertise in professional negligence, contractual disputes, oil and gas law, construction law and personal injury. In personal injury, his chief focus is on cases of medical negligence and cases involving catastrophic injuries. Colin also has significant experience in criminal cases concerning health and safety issues.
Education & Professional Career to Date
- Advocate Depute (1986–1989)
- Part-time Chairman, Medical Appeal Tribunal (1990–1995)
- Temporary Judge
- Independent Assessor under Criminal Justice Act 1988 for Miscarriage of Justice
- Senior Counsel to the Vale of Leven Hospital Inquiry (October 2009–2014)
Scottish Hierarchy v Highland Regional Council  SC (HL) 1
Scott Lithgow Ltd v GEC Electrical Products  SLT 244
Caledonian North Sea v London Bridge Ltd  SLT (HL) 278
Clark v Kelly  SC (PC) 1
Ocean Odyssey Inquiry
Areas of Practice
Recommended in The Legal 500 UK Bar Guide for many years
• Leading Silk (Health and Safety, and Regulatory)
Recommended in Chambers & Partners UK Bar Guide 2024
• Senior Statespeople Band for Clinical Negligence
"He is a very calm, ordered individual and people instantly respect him."
"Colin is one of the most senior medical negligence practitioners at the Scottish Bar. He is an impressive advocate in court and has a sympathetic and understanding manner with clients."